Thursday, February 7, 2013

Les Mills Pump Review



I don't usually work out to videos.  I prefer to run outside and do free weights.  I am not very coordinated and have a hard time mimicking what others are doing on the TV screen and keeping up.  I used to go to the gym - religiously - but I really don't have the time to do that anymore.  I commute almost an hour each way so I have to get up early and work out if I want to exercise at all.

On February 16th last year (yep, right after eating all that Valentine's Day candy), I was working out of town and using the hotel's gym when a Les Mills infomercial came on.  Like I said, I never work out to videos, but this one appealed to me because it involved weight lifting.  I really needed to tone up and I thought this might be a solution for me.

I ordered it before I talked myself out of spending almost $100 on the video series and equipment and couldn't wait for it to arrive.  When it did, I started it almost immediately.  The Les Mills Pump kit includes six or seven videos that increase in intensity as your body improves.  It takes 90 days to complete the entire series.

I have to admit that I didn't think I was going to be able to do the videos.  Let me first say that they are EASY to follow.  How hard could it be to follow someone as they lift weights?  That was the easy part.  The hard part was just learning to use good form and building up my endurance.  The series is built around what they call "the rep effect."  You do hundreds of reps using low to moderate weights.  The system is intended to tone not to cause bulkiness.  This is what I liked about it.

My body: I have the best upper body that I've ever had.  I can do push-ups on my toes like a guy (this is a first for me).  Women usually don't have a lot of upper body strength.  I do now.  My arms, chest, shoulders, and back look very well toned.  My legs are also more tones and so are my abs.  Did I lose any weight?  No.  I might have even gained some muscle mass - which would have offset any fat loss that I did achieve.  BUT...I do look different...better...and I certainly FEEL better.

I recommend this series to anyone who wants to feel better and tone up a bit.  The videos are easy to follow and the soundtrack is awesome.  The trainers are funny and motivational. 

What prompted this post today (which falls under mobility: activity)? I received an email from BeachBody this morning with an ad for a new Les Mills video series.  This one is called Combat.  The reviews are pretty good.  I think I am going to order it today and see what happens.  It looks pretty scary but they all do when you first get them.  You have to stick with it if you want results!  I'll let you know how it's going when the set gets here!

Here's a link to the Combat series if anyone wants to join me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment