Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Growing My Own


You really can't beat the taste of fresh herbs.  I have been growing my own for several years.  Most people don't realize that most herbs are perennials, so once you plant your herb garden, they come back year after year.  The only problem is that they die-down during the winter and you can't enjoy them anytime you'd like.

My parents found a solution for me.  For Christmas two years ago, they gave me an AeroGarden - a dirt-free indoor garden.  For two years, it stayed in the box.  It was intimidating and I couldn't figure out where to put it in the house to keep the cats and kids away.  This spring, I decided to assemble it and plant a pack of the pods that came with it.  My parents gave me a variety of pod sets, but the one I wanted to try first was an herb kit.

It took me about 10 minutes to assemble my garden, which I placed in a large jelly roll pan to prevent water damage to my dining room buffet.  I popped in the six pods in the set, added water and a nutrient plant, and then plugged it in.  It started gurgling and in less than a week, the small plants had already started growing.  When I peeked inside the water reservoir, I could see little roots growing, as well.

Within one month, I had raised the light to its full height and had produced (with little effort) full grown herbs in my house.  I am growing three kinds of basil, oregano, thyme (which I struggle with in my outside garden), and a "holiday" hybrid herb with is similar to thyme.  Now, I have access to fresh herbs year round!

I must say that this is one of the best gifts I've ever received.  Not only is the garden useful, it is pretty to look at.  I love my AeroGarden!

By the way, the herbs were used in my Portabello Pizza recipe.  I used all three kinds of basil and some oregano.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment