Monday, April 15, 2013

Roller Skating Momma - A Blast From the Past!

So back in the day - like 20 something years ago - I could really rock a pair of roller skates.  My mom would drop us off at the local skating rink on Saturday night with $5.00 and that money would get us in, pay for skate rental, some nachos and Dr. Pepper, AND a couple of big-hair-band songs on the juke box.  Man!  Those were the good ol' days.

Yesterday was Maddie's 5th birthday and she wanted to have her party at the roller rink, so I called and made the arrangements, never planning to lace up a pair on my own feet.  A friend-of-a-friend just fell skating and broke both arms.  This freaked me out so I decided that under no circumstances would I dare try skating after all these years...but then my own momma put on a pair and started making slow circles with the kids.  That tempted me.  However, when my sister-in-law Debbie hit the floor like an old pro, I had to join in!

I was a little rusty at first, but like riding a bike, it came back to me.  I was skating like a 16 year old within ten minutes (all the other moms at the birthday party were jealous - I could tell :)  I never managed to skate at my old level going backwards, but I pulled off a few spins and other cool moves.

At the end of the party, I was exhaused, but I had such a great time.  I forgot to ask Maddie if she had a good time because I was so busy having fun.  Now, I want a pair of skates (preferably with some cool socks and a pair of matching pom poms for my laces).  I am seriously considering having my own birthday party there this year...but wait, they don't serve alcohol so that won't work...

Anyway, I highly recommend that you get out there and give skating a try if you were ever good at it...or biking...or swimming...or any other activity that you enjoyed as a kid.  I am still smiling today :)

Have you revisited an old activity lately and had as much fun as I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment