Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy Seis de Mayo! Celebrate Tonight with Tacos Carne Asada

Carne Asada Tacos
 
At the present, carne asada tacos are at the top of my list when it comes to Mexican food. I crave these all the time and they are prepared very well at two of our local restaurants: Trejos and Mi Pueblito

I celebrated Cinco de Mayo on Saturday night - a day early - and indulged in my favorite dish.  They were divine, but not very healthy because they were a little greasy and encased in a homemade corn tortilla.  However, I've made them in the past and there is no reason why they can't be healthy.  Here's my recipe:

Carne Asada Tacos
 
  • Prep the meat: Spray both sides of a flat iron or flank steak (or cut of your choice) with olive or canola spray.  Sprinkle with sea salt and coarsely ground pepper.  Rub into the meat.  Place in a zipper bag and cover with 3-4 T of liquid from a jar of pickled jalapeno peppers.  Refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
  • Grill the meat: I prefer to grill over charcoal, but you can grill your steak over gas and it will taste fine.  When it is raining, I use the cast iron grill on my stone, but it makes for a messy clean-up.  Grill the meat until you are happy with it (I like my meat medium rare - so about 4-5 minutes per side over medium heat).  Remove the meat and cover it with foil.  Leave it alone for 10 minutes and then slice it thin.  Traditionally, the steak is cut into smaller pieces, but I am too lazy for that.
  • Prepare the condiments: Dice an onion (I use Vidalia onions because they are sweet) and chop up a big bunch of fresh cilantro.  Dried doesn't work in this dish.  Slice a fresh lime or two.  Open a jar of green salsa (sometimes these tacos are served with mojo sauce but the base is olive oil, so I don't use it). You can make your own green salsa but it takes a little time, and there are plenty of jarred sauces available that are as good as any homemade sauce.  Try this one: Mrs. Renfro's Green Salsa (all of their products are great!).  I also like to include pinto beans (from a can, rinsed well, if home-cooked aren't available).
  • I use Mission Carb Balance tortillas in all of my Mexican dishes.  Warm them up on the grill.  Fill them with the meat, beans, chopped raw onion, fresh cilantro, and some green salsa.  Squeeze a lime wedge across each one.  I sometimes add a few slices of avocado, as well.  Enjoy!
We love these at my house. I know they sound simple - and they are - but they are delicious and pretty healthy.  We grilled steaks last night so I know what we will be eating for dinner tonight - carne asada tacos made from leftovers!
     
 

 

     
     
    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment