Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Date Night



I know you won't believe this, but I've been bitchy this week.  My plate is entirely too full and not many people within my arm's reach seem to have enough to do.  Take last night, for instance.  I arrived home at approximately 6:00 p.m., my usual time.  The house was empty, but everyone had been off work or home from school since around 2 p.m.  I changed into my pajamas (yes, I said it) and waited around for the rest of the family to get home.  They arrived within half an hour, congregating one by one, or two by two, around the kitchen island staring at me like hungry dogs.  Why were they staring at me?  Because they all had the same question, "What's for dinner, Mom?"

I quickly made taco salad (you can imagine what my pajamas smelled like when I finished).  By the time I sat down to eat, they had finished dinner and disappeared again into thin air.  The teenager did reappear to ask if I had located her shot record or had time to pick up her senior pictures today.

While in a meeting at noon today, I received a text message from Don that said something like, "My meeting ended sooner than expected.  Headed to the lake to drink beer.  See you this evening.  Love you."  For some reason, I became really irritated.  At Don, no, but at my situation vs. his situation.  I would love to eat lunch with friends everyday, get home before dark, and drink beer (lots and lots of it) on the lake.  I'm not saying that I work harder than he does, just that his schedule is more flexible and it does allow for more "free" time.  I'm bitter.

Anyway, he redeemed himself.  He called a few minutes ago to let me know that his mother had agreed to babysit Maddie for a couple of hours tonight and that he is taking me out to dinner. Its been a really long time since we've been to dinner alone.  I wish I could write an analogy of this "date" and the "Date Night" movie that we are eagerly awaiting to see (because we are every bit as funny as Steve Carrell and Tina Fey).  However, our date night won't last long enough to squeeze in a movie at the theater.  We have to wait until the video is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment