Friday, April 23, 2010

Rule #8: Have a Lark!

"All work and no play can leave any mother elbow-deep in the doldrums."  Maybe this is why I've been such a grouch lately.  I haven't been attending the "bi-annual rotary club meetings" or "joining my lady friends for a bridge game while the kids are napping".  Wow!  It all makes sense now.

Well, last night I attended a Delta Kappa Gamma meeting (my last meeting as president!) and afterwards I went out for drinks with the incoming president (to discuss DKG business, of course).  It helped.  I feel a lot better today.

Instead of dreading the houseful of company that will arrive late tonight and stay until Sunday, I am actually looking forward to seeing them.  Don't get me wrong, I love them.  I've just been tired and grumpy.  A couple of hours with a friend and two glasses of red wine really knocked the edge off.

I blogged yesterday about the guilt that I feel for not spending enough time with my daughters.  The fact is, I can't help it.  I have to work if we want to continue to live where we do, drive what we drive, eat what we eat, and play when and where we like to play.  I started to say no to that drink with my friend last night, but after a couple of minutes, decided that I needed it and deserved it.

Rule #8's wisdom still rings true today.  Moms need to make time to "have a lark" occasionally. After last night, I feel like I can survive the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment