Monday, April 19, 2010

Overwhelmed

During the nine minutes between the first and second alarms on my clock and before the serotonin begins to clear from my brain, I am already anticipating the many tasks that await me at the office and I begin to feel overwhelmed.

This morning, my mental to-do list seemed a mile long and I debated driving past my building and continuing on, somewhere fun, where work doesn't exist.  Perhaps Galveston or New Oreans.  But, alas, I did not.  I pulled into the closest parking spot, put on a cheerful face, marched in and began working on those most pressing items on my list.  I love to work and I like to be busy, but sometimes there's just too much to do in a certain period of time.

I did not stop for lunch until just now.  My lunch was liquid, gulped down in three or four swallows.  I look around and others are still working.  Their doors have remained open all day as well.  When will the "slow" part of the academic year arrive? 

I just reviewed my to-do list and was able to cross out several items, but just as many tasks remain for tomorrow. On the bright side, I have a job to go to tomorrow where my work is valued, where I am valued!  I know many who would gladly trade places with me.  Instead of feeling overwhelmed, I should be counting by blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment